When I am scrolling through instagram, there are a few stories from influencers that I just CAN NOT MISS. This includes graphic designers, photographers, public figures, business owners, and interior designers who are inspiring and real. Today’s post is highlighting the who, and the why!
But first here are some of the criteria that I think are important for having compelling, and brand-building instagram stories:
#1 They often (at least once a day) put their face on stories, talking to their followers. This is something I think is very important for an influencer who wants to create a personal connection. The whole point being that I trust this person enough to “influence” me, right? So face-to-face contact is completely necessary for building that trust.
#2 Something that most of these people have in common is their personal engagement with their followers. I often reply to their stories and get a positive, appreciative, and conversational response back.
#3 They show spontaneous parts of their every day life. Getting coffee, playing with kids, getting stuck in traffic, food, hanging out with friends and family. They all have real and important careers outside of instagram but that is relatively small part of what they share, as opposed to personal moments. This also helps build trust between them and me.
#4 They add to their stories every day. They almost never have less than 5-6 stories up at all times!
#5 Most of them story about cooking their meals. I like food =)
Jamie Beck – @annestreetstudio
Jamie is a NYC photographer living in Provence who is an authority on all things french country living. Her stories are full of breathtaking landscapes, mouthwatering fresh produce, and elegant dining experiences. Her specialty is creating classic style still lifes. The thing I love about her stories is how she shows every detail of her creative process, from arranging, to styling, to editing. The best thing is she keeps all of her still life stories saved in her highlights! You really need to check them out…
Bri Emery – @designlovefest
I follow Bri Emery for a few different reasons. #1 she is the graphic designer and creative director for her company Design Love Fest. She works with some of the most fashionable brands in the world to create beautiful, editorial, images and in her stories she shows us her creative process, as well as how fun it can be. #2 she has an amazing fashion sense, and #3 One of her hobbies is trying new recipes and sharing with friends, and who doesn’t love a fancy taco pic, or a boomerang of cheese bubbling??
Sarah Akwisombe – @sarahakwisombe
Sarah is a London based influencer, interior stylist, and the brain behind The No Bull Business School. She, her husband Jason (@lifeofthedad), and their daughter Marley are HILARIOUS. Her stories are equal parts goofy and inspirational, and they provide a much-appreciated behind the scenes of running a business and working with brands. She makes me feel like I can do it.
Catherine McCord – @weelicious
Okay, the truth is that I just now learned her real name. Thanks Instagram. Up till now, If I had seen her on the street I would’ve said “Hey! its Weelicious!” and that might’ve offended her. So sorry, Catherine McCord! Anyway, she is a mom of 3 as well as a Food Network judge on Guy’s Grocery Games and a general food guru. She shows on her stories her unrealistically healthy smoothies and her sweet relationships with her kids. Gemma in particular is one of my favorite insta-famous children! I have never seen a 3 yr old eat as well as Gemma does. She pops pickled ginger like its french fries! There is a lot of laughter and positive vibes in her stories.
Jeff Mindell – @jeffmindell
Jeff and his wife Kelly (of @studiodiy) adopted their son Arlo a little over a year ago. He is a photographer, influencer, and all around nice guy! Jeff somehow creates a personal relationship with his audience and you get a real-life look at being a new dad. At least 80% of his content is of little Arlo who is painfully adorable. The other 20% consists of LA living, working with brands to create beautiful photos, and lots and lots of Dunkin Doughnuts coffee…
Sabrina Smelko – @sabrinasmelko
First of all: SHES CANADIAN! Its shocking how little us Americans know about Canadian culture, here I get little snippets. Secondly, she is a really hip graphic designer and interior stylist. She likes to cook on her stories (these are my favorite) and it always turns out flawless… She has an insta-famous dog Piper who is completely adorable and I follow her for her sense of humor and fashion sense.
In the last year since I got Instagram I have enjoyed studying influencers and how social media works. These are some of the people I try to emulate when I am building my online presence and personal brand. They value real-life, personal relationships, and most importantly they LOVE making beautiful things! Please, please, please check them out!!